With all the healing modalities out there, it can be difficult to determine which path to follow. So many fad diets which come and go. More and more “ miracle cures” seem to appear each week. Do you find yourself overwhelmed by the latest research and recommendations? How do you decide what to follow and what to drop? Ayurveda is the science of life or of daily living. It originated in India. Ayurveda arose at a time when people were communing with nature. There are numerous reasons to follow an Ayurvedic lifestyle.
1. Ayurveda has stood the test of time. It has been in existence for over 5,000 years and continues to be in use to this day. The system of Ayurveda remains virtually unchanged after all these centuries. Few other modalities can claim such longevity.
2. Another one of the reasons to follow an Ayurvedic lifestyle is that Ayurveda is both preventative and curative. Ayurveda teaches us to stay healthy, so that we can avoid major health imbalances. If you are ill, then it can put you back on the path to health.
3. Ayurveda addresses the trinity of the body, mind, and spirit. Ayurveda recognizes that our inner environment greatly impacts our outer manifestation in the world, and vice versa. This holistic healing modality reveals that if our mind is not free from disturbing emotions, then it can create physical dis-ease within the body. Conversely, if we are not physically well, then we may be prone to feelings of anxiety depression, fear, anger, or helplessness.
4. The methodology of Ayurveda is to treat the individual, rather than the disease. Ayurveda evaluates the individual through various methods and then makes specific lifestyle recommendations accordingly. This consists of diet, yoga, herbs, daily routine, etc. Ayurveda treats the root cause of the imbalance, rather than just addressing the symptoms.
5. Ayurveda can be tailored to meet each individual’s schedule, dietary restrictions, and abilities. You can slowly incorporate Ayurvedic practices into your life. As you began to implement changes into your daily routine, herbal regimens, diet, etc., you may do so at a pace which suits you. Eventually, they become instinctual and long-lasting.
6. Ayurveda allows you to classify objects, tastes, experiences, and activities according to the doshas: Vata, Pitta, or Kapha. As you begin to understand the beauty of the doshas, you can better align yourself with what suits you energetically, mentally, and physically.
7. Yet another one of the reasons to follow an Ayurvedic lifestyle is the fact that this ancient science is not an all or none phenomenon. Everything you implement is incremental. You are building a reservoir of good health with each step that you take.
8.. Ayurveda permits you to be a co-participant in your healing journey. Since you are the best barometer of what agrees with your body and what doesn’t, you can take responsibility for your own well-being.
9. Ayurveda utilizes only natural remedies to bring you back into balance. This includes a proper doshic diet, pranayama or breathing exercises, yoga, marma chikitsa (acupressure), home remedies, herbal preparations, and rejuvenative regimens. The herbs are natural and do not create addictive patterns in your body. You also do not need to stop taking your prescription medicine as you begin incorporating Ayurvedic principles. Your can work with your medical doctor to taper your dosage.
10. Ayurveda is the healing modality which is used with yoga therapy. There are therapeutic poses for each dosha and organ depending on your Ayurvedic imbalance. Ayurveda is also a sister science to Jyotish (Vedic astrology). Vedic astrology is used as another diagnostic tool to gauge health imbalance, vitality, timing of illness/ well-being, and provide remedial measures. Ayurveda also takes Vaastu shastra or Vedic architecture into consideration. There can be physical adjustments to your home environment which will improve your health.
The above are just some of the reasons to follow an Ayurvedic lifestyle. Get started on your journey to healing today with Ayurveda and see how it can change your life. It won’t be another passing fad in your life