The first Mercury retrograde of the year will soon be upon us. Mercury retrograde March, 2019 runs from the 5th to the 28th. Vedic astrology or Jyotish offers a somewhat varying perspective than Western astrology. In Vedic astrology, retrogression makes a planet stronger. However, this Mercury retrograde March, 2019 begins with Mercury is in Pisces, its sign of debilitation, or weakness. Thus, it’s a mixed bag of planetary weakness and strength.
Mercury deals with communication (oral, written and technological), commerce, short trips, the intellect, education, and the nervous system in Vedic astrology. How this all plays out individually is contingent on your personal horoscope. You want to know what houses Mercury will be transiting during its retrogression and what they signify for you. It also depends on where Mercury is located in your birth chart. What other planets will Mercury be with in your natal chart as it moves? The answers will vary from individual to individual.
The word ‘mercurial’ is defined on dictionary.com as: “changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic.” Mercury is considered a dual planet; it wants to pursue two paths simultaneously. Mercury’s innate ability to multi-task is hampered by periods of slow motion during retrogression. You may experience bouts of frustration which impact the nervous system (or majja dhatu in Ayurveda) due to the slow moving impediment.
Retrograde planets are seemingly moving backwards in the sky. They are retracing their previous route. Thus, retrogression is an ideal time to reflect, re-strategize, review, re-think, re-focus, re-direct, and re-group. Retrogression connotes the notion of repetition, renewal, and revisiting of situations.
Mercury retrograde in Pisces
Normally, Mercury’s movement through Pisces this wouldn’t be any cause for concern, as it makes this transit annually. The implications become more nuanced when Mercury is retrograde in Pisces. Pisces is symbolized by two fish moving in opposite directions. Just like Mercury, it wants to do two things at once. Mercury will move backwards into Aquarius on March 15th and will stay there for the remainder of this retrogression cycle.
With Mercury debilitated in Pisces, it’s vital to be mindful of how your communication’s delivered and received. Was the intended message received? Was there miscommunication or misinterpretation? Did the desired audience receive your message? Think before you speak/write/ tweet/text. With Mercury also controlling the intellect, it may take longer than usual to get clarity on situations.
Generally speaking, Pisces is associated with loss, expenditures, foreign items (those that are unknown or new to you), and retreating from the world.
Mercury’s also the indicator for commerce. Typically, Mercury is powerfully able to use its versatility and intellect to create business opportunities for itself. So this Mercury retrograde March, 2019 is not the ideal time to commence a new business or partnership, especially so if you’re in a Mercury planetary cycle in Vedic astrology or have Mercury in Pisces in your birth chart.
Mercury retrograde in Aquarius
Aquarius is commonly associated with gains, groups, income from career, hopes, dreams, and social associations.
In Vedic astrology, Aquarius is owned by Saturn, which is friendly to Mercury. Pisces is owned by Jupiter, which is not so amiable with Mercury. Thus, Mercury enjoys being in Aquarius more.
The symbol for Aquarius is the water bearer. It’s symbolized by a woman holding a pot. The pot can be used to store items as well as information. Mercury is an indicator for education, so it can be an ideal time to review your notes on a educational subject of interest or take a refresher course.
Tips for handling Mercury retrograde March, 2019:
- Chant a mantra for Mercury
- Worship goddess Saraswati- the goddess of speech and education
- Do not sign any legal contracts, as there is the likelihood that the contracts may have to be revised or that they will not go through
- Pay particular attention on Wednesdays, the day associated with Mercury
- Be very careful of new partnerships
- Review current personal and professional alliances to see which you want to strengthen
- Check and double check all your written communication
- Request delivery receipts on important emails and postal mail
- Take care of any overdue health care checkups
- Consult health care practitioners on methods to support your nervous system and digestion
- Pay close attention to your nervous system health; do not overtax it
- Take herbal supplements to support memory and cognitive function
- Don’t make any life-altering decisions at this time; if you must, get a second opinion
- Eat green mung beans, the lentil associated with Mercury
- Schedule a retreat and time to relax
- Be careful of getting involved in foreign investment deals
- Double check your tax return before you sign it
- Take this time to review and re-assess your financial portfolio – both gains and losses
- Make time for study to keep your intellect sharp
- You may also chant mantras for the nakshatra (constellation) which Mercury retrograde is transiting. From March 5 – 10, it is in Uttara Bhadrapada. From March 11-28, it is in Purva Bhadrapada.
The most problematic part about a retrogression cycle is when a planet goes from being direct (forward motion) to retrograde or from being retrograde to being direct. The day after Mercury retrograde begins, the nodes (Rahu and Ketu) change signs. This usually signifies major shifts in one’s life. Please see my Facebook page for further information. Mercury turns direct on March 28. It returns to its normal speed on April 11, 2019 and moves back into Pisces the next day. I’ll write more about that on my Facebook page.
The specific methods for handling Mercury retrograde March, 2019 depend on the placement of planets in your personal chart. Additionally, planetary cycles have to be factored in to determine how you can utilize this time to your advantage, and what cautions may be warranted. A personalized Vedic astrology reading will take all these details into consideration.